Main Club Sponsor - Butler's Fish & Chips
Youth Team Sponsor - Exclusive Private VillasClub Sponsor - Automatic Gate SystemsCharity Partner - Chestnut Tree House Hospice
NO Game today so recap on last week's victory

NO Game today so recap on last week's victory

By Nick Edgington
10 October 2020
Share via

‘Ten-man Bosham end Worthing’s perfect record at Palatine Park’

Despite going down to ten men, Bosham dug deep to end the perfect record for the season, so far, for Worthing Town, with two second half goals eventually settling the score.

Both teams started brightly and after only three minutes then reds had the first opportunity on goal when Ollie Hawkins worked space but could only fire over the bar from close range. This was a warning to the black and blues but one that they failed to heed as not long later Hawkins got it right to put the visitors in front.

Showing stirring pace and agility, the winger surged to the box and unleashed an unstoppable effort into the roof of the net from a tight angle leaving keeper, Harry Cranford, somewhat dumbfounded at how the ball had ended up in his net.
Worthing struggled to created much as the half wore on with the likes of Adam Dine and Matt Wilson both wasteful when chances did come but the home hopes were raised, just after the half hour when Mackenzie Oatway was given a, somewhat, contentious yellow card and handed his marching orders. Bosham had to dig in and revert, mostly, to counter attack football with the experienced heads at the back, being Nick Edgington and Pat Bulbeck marshalling the troops.

Late in the first half Josh Mines hit the bar for the reds as the visitors showed good tactics to push toward goal but still went in at the break with a slender lead and a tough second half to come and a Worthing side yet still determined to find a way back into the tie. Despite their best pressure, Bosham held firm and then, just on fifty minutes hit the blue and blacks with a sucker punch as the ever improving, Nathaniel Monk, surged clear, on the break, turned his defender and fired low into the far corner of the net past the outstretched hand of Cranford.

Bosham, though, momentarily switched off from the re-start and were caught napping at the back, allowing Craig Anderson to nip in and poke the ball home to give the hosts a lifeline. Worthing grew in confidence and Dine was next to have a pop at Jack Hickman’s goal but the Bosham keeper made a smart save to keep him out. At times Bosham looked a little nervy at the back from corners but did enough to clear the dangers and maintain their slender lead and left it very late to finally seal the deal and the all important points.
Having absorbed a wealth of pressure from the hosts, and with time fast running out, Bosham quickly sprung on the break and Alex Barnes easily beat a weak offside trap and surged in on goal. Being totally unselfish, Barnes, having looked up, slotted the ball perfectly to the far post where Hawkins had arrive late and the winger tucked it home into the empty net to give Bosham the cushion they craved and three points in the bag.

Post game, Bosham boss, Tony Hancock spoke to me saying: ‘I am very please indeed with the commitment and performance from the team, especially after going down to ten men in the first half. The boys dug deep, Kept playing their football and got the rewards that they deserved. Overall a good, hard earned three points and now onto the cup next week and another interesting challenge.’

Bosham entertain Sovereign Saints from Eastbourne in the first round of the SCFA Intermediate Cup next week and will look to get their cup run up and going and with the momentum of two wins in a row to take into it the buzz within the camp is very strong.

Alan Price

Bosham: Jack Hickman, Theo Likaj, Lukas Micevicius, Mackenzie Oatway, Nick Edgington, Pat Bulbeck, Ollie Hawkins, Ben Bishop, Josh Mines, Alex Barnes and Nathaniel Monk. SUBS: Bradley Stroud, Bili Heaseman, Luke Wharton and Brandon Sharpe.

Share via